History

Memories Forever Scrapbooking Retreat & Bed and Breakfast

Location: 86 Goderich St., West Seaforth Ontario Year Built: c.1890

Samuel Scarlett purchased the property, Lot 17 Block D of the Beattie and Stark Survey, on January 16, 1867 from James Beattie and Samuel Stark. From 1890 to 1895, the land remained in the Scarlett Family, passing to John, Mary, and finally Eleanor Scarlett. It was sold in 1895 to George Duncan who in turn sold it to William Acheson in 1898.

Minnie Victoria Greig acquired the property in 1907. She owned the property for the next 40 years. Dr. Edmund Malkus and his wife Ruth bought the house from Evelyn Clark in 1956. The home was purchased by Gerry and Marie Smith in 1998. They established the “Home and Hearth” Bed & Breakfast then operated by Barb abd Ivan Wolfe.

The house was built in the late 1800’s and has large sunny bay windows throughout. The main floor has the original ash staircase with ok hardwood floors. There are four rooms on the second floor, two with large bay windows. Two rooms have a shared five piece bath. The house has a spacious dining room decorated in a combination of old and new with a Victorian flavour. It has a fireplace setting to dine beside. Now operated by Ed and Connie DeJong as a Scrapbooking Retreat and Bed & Breakfast.